Whether you’re at work or just facing a bad day at home, there are many things you can do to make sure you’re back in the saddle and feeling more confident about life. One of the best ways to regain your self-confidence is to give yourself a little pep talk.
The idea of positive self-talk, or positive thinking, is something many coaches and counselors suggest to their clients and nearly everyone can benefit from it. Have you ever been in a situation where you think a little bit of positive reinforcement could make things a lot easier? Don’t wait for someone else to lift your spirits; take a moment and realize you can easily do it yourself!
Be Proactive and Gain Confidence
Having negative thoughts, even about a single project at work, can often impact your entire outlook on life. You may begin to believe that you’re in a trap of bad luck or that things will never get better, but in reality, the only way for things to get better is to make positive changes and that takes both action and self-confidence.
• When faced with a difficult situation that leaves negative feelings, step away for a few minutes and take some deep breaths. Think about a resolution to the problem, come up with a smart action plan, then return to propose your plan. Removing yourself from the situation will help minimize those negative feelings while allowing you to gain some perspective.
What Makes You Special?
Another way to lift your spirits and give yourself a confidence boost is to remind yourself of your accomplishments, both at home and at work.
• Did a client praise your work? Have you been promoted? Do co-workers come to you for advice? Do friends marvel at your decorating flair? Each person is so much more complex than what’s visible on the outside. Allow yourself to delve deeper into your soul and treasure what makes you unique.
Rediscover your personal strengths or hobbies that make you proud and happy.
• Do you love to cook? Have you traveled extensively? Do you play an instrument? Do you play competition sports? These are all accomplishments you should be proud of because you took the time to develop these different facets of your life.
Think about the journey you took to reach those accomplishments. If something was too easy, you may place less importance on the final outcome, but when you are able to face and overcome serious challenges, it makes you a stronger and more determined person.
How Do I Use Positive Self-Talk?
The term positive self-talk might scare some people away, thinking it involves talking to yourself out loud. Although you may choose to say positive affirmations out loud, it’s enough to just think positively about your accomplishments and what makes you special.
If you’re having trouble thinking about your strengths, sit down in a quiet spot and make a list of everything that makes you unique. Taking some extra time to write these things down will help reinforce them in your mind.
• Once the list is written, post it in a place where you’ll see it everyday. Starting your day positively will make the small nuisances disappear.
If necessary, make copies of these lists so you can take one with you. Anytime you feel down or upset, take out your list and read it. You are a fabulous person and this list proves it!
This list isn’t written in stone; it should be a continuously changing list, just as we continuously change ourselves. So be sure to constantly add to your list as you achieve more accomplishments!
Everyone Can Benefit From Positive Thinking
As you build your self-confidence with positive self-talk, you might feel silly at first but you’ll still benefit from the experience. Whenever you feel overwhelmed, stop and give yourself a little pep talk. Reassure yourself that you’re strong, that you can get through anything, and that success is within your grasp.
• Remembering that everyone goes through ups and downs in life will help you face the day more positively.
Thoughts and feelings are what make us human. Everyone experiences negative emotions, but if these negative feelings seem to cling to you everyday, then finding ways to dissolve that negative energy can be empowering.
Your life is yours to control so don’t wait for others to help. Positive thinking and positive self-talk can help you come out of the darkness and into the light.